Transport alternatives neglected in City budget
Ever wonder how much the City spends on transportation? While you may assume TransLink pulls the heavy lifting, the City plans to spend just over $700 million over the next decade on transport in Surrey. 94% of that money will go towards roads, leaving just 6% for cycling, sidewalks, and transit improvements.
3.2% of the total engineering budget for the next 10 years will go towards bicycle infrastructure. 1.6% is dedicated for sidewalks, and just 1% will go to transit.
57% of the budget is expected to be funded through new developments. 34% comes from general tax revenue, and 9% from senior levels of government.
For a City that likes to tout its shifting priorities, a look at where the money goes shows little change. Until Council dedicates more funding towards sustainable alternatives to the car, it’s all just lip service.